More Great January Releases

It's only the first month of the year but, wow, so many great books have already been published this month! Here are a few more reviews for books published earlier in January.


Wishing Under a Starlit Skye by Lisa Hobman

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Wishing Under a Starlit Skye is the story Caitlin, who at 28 years old took the unconventional route of choosing to have a baby on her own with the assistance of an anonymous sperm donor. After twelve years of being a single parent to her daughter, Grace, Caitlin decides to begin navigating the waters of the dating world. Singles nights, speed dating, blind dates, and her daughter's friend's father are all included in Caitlin's journey.....though she may just find that the right person was close by the whole time.

Wishing Under a Starlit Skye is a fantastic book in my opinion and there are several reasons for this. Caitlin's story of motherhood was definitely unique and not one that I have seen in fiction before. It was sweet that she wanted to be a mother so much, and I loved the relationship between her and Grace. The slow burn between Caitlin and Archie was very swoon worthy and I adored reading the progression of their relationship. I also appreciate books that spark conversations, and the relationship between Caitlin and Lyle brought up a lot of interesting points that led to discussions between me and my husband. And finally....throw in an astronomy theme and I'm sold. Wishing Under a Starlit Skye is a great book and one that I would highly recommend. 

Thanks to Boldwood Books for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.


The Girl Who Could Breathe Under Water by Erin Bartels

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Girl Who Could Breathe Under Water is the story of Kendra, a successful author who moves back into her grandfather's cabin to address a few issues that have come up. Her publisher is eagerly awaiting the follow up to her first novel and Kendra really needs some inspiration. Though a more pressing problem is the letter from A Very Disappointed Reader, an anonymous letter that questions the authenticity of Kendra's book. Kendra hopes to confront who she believes wrote the letter, which brings a number of painful memories to light.

So funny story......I was certain that I had my top ten books read in 2021 figured out until I read The Girl Who Could Breathe Under Water. As soon as I started reading this book, I had trouble putting it down and could not stop talking about it. Oh. My. Goodness. This book is incredible for so many reasons. The writing style is unique in that it is written as if Kendra is writing to someone. It takes a bit to get used to, but it really adds to the story. The timeline alternates between past and present events, and this is also essential to the book. And this is the kind of the book where the hits just keep coming: when I thought the story couldn't get darker or heavier, it did. Finally, the author's note at the end of the book.....I don't want to spoil anything, so I will just say thank you to the author for sharing her story and this book with readers. I cannot recommend The Girl Who Could Breathe Under Water enough; seriously, go pick up a copy. 

Another note: I am even more impressed that this book is being published by a Christian publisher. I believe that it is where the book belongs and I applaud Revell for this.

Thanks to NetGalley and Revell for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.


Sunrise by Susan May Warren

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Sunrise is the first book in the Sky King Ranch series and follows Dodge as he returns to Alaska to take over his family's business. Dodge is reunited with his past love interest, Echo, and their feelings for each other begin to return. However, Echo leads an adventurous life, and Dodge is pulled into this when one of Echo's colleagues goes missing.

Sunrise is the first book I have read by this author and the rave reviews were enough to draw me in. I absolutely loved the setting of this book, with great descriptions of the Alaska landscape. The writing style is fast paced and it is easy to stay engaged in the story with eager anticipation for what comes next. Dodge and Echo have an interesting relationship and I enjoyed reading the progression of their relationship. I also appreciated the clean romance aspect of the book and the outward Christian themes. Sunrise is a great start to the series and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Thanks to Netgalley and Revell for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.


When You Get the Chance by Emma Lord

⭐⭐⭐⭐

When You Get the Chance follows Millie, a lively and energetic theatre buff with big plans for her future. After being accepted into an acting program across the country, Millie is frustrated when her dad does not immediately agree to let her go. She sets off on a quest to find her mother, and finds so much more along the way.

I absolutely adored Millie as the main character in When You Get the Chance, she really made this book special. Her personality is huge, and her emotions are just as big to match. I found myself frequently underlining passages in the book because I loved the detail put into her thoughts and actions. The main storyline of the search for Millie's mom is engaging, and readers will enjoy trying to solve the mystery with her (kudos to the Livejournal reference, I could not get over this). Millie is supported by a great group: an anxious dad, an eccentric best friend, a loving aunt/mother figure, and a rival turned love interest. What's not to love? When You Get the Chance held my interest from start to finish, and is just a joy to read. 

Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Her Dark Seduction (Featured Review on Netgalley!)

Book Review: Chasing the Stars

Book Review: Well-Offed in Vermont